If you clicked on this hoping to find the latest fitness or diet trends, you might be disappointed. While we want you to feel your very best on the beach this year, this has nothing to do with crunches or kale. Of course, being healthy is awesome – but feeling confident in a bathing suit is all about the right fit and staying true to you.
You can find a hundred articles about how to find the right bathing suit for you (and they’ll probably link you to a meal and exercise plan too) but why should you avoid patterns or bright colours just because solids could be more slimming. Black looks great on everyone – but what if your soul screams for rainbows? You might look banging in a plunge bikini top – but what if a high-neck style is calling your name?
Just because someone else is telling you what should be best for you doesn’t mean that it is right for you. That’s the beauty of being true to you – you ultimately get to decide!
We at Forever Yours Lingerie believe that the best way to get a bikini body is to take your body – yes the one you have right now, curves, bumps, stretch marks and all – and put a bikini on it. Voila! Bikini body. Obviously, confidence and self-love is an ever-evolving process and not all of us are there yet (hello gorgeous cover-ups and maxi skirts!) but you should always love what you wear regardless of where you are in your body love journey.
Now, there are some things to consider when looking at the fit of your swimsuit to keep you feeling comfortable and confident.
- If you have a larger bust and/or prefer extra support, many brands offer bra cup sized bikini, tankini, and one piece options. Because of the underwire and cup sizing, it is always a good idea to be professionally fit to make sure that you are well supported, comfortable and that your suit will last.
- All swimsuits will stretch out in the water. When looking for the right fit, allow the bathing suit to be a little bt snug against you. Snug does not mean too tight, uncomfortable or painful! Honour your body and know what’s right for you. But a long-lasting fit will do you best if you plan for the fabric to stretch out.
- Consider the fabric of the suit. What do you plan to do in it? Any swimsuit will be perfect for lounging or tanning but if you plan to be in chlorinated water, be mindful of your choice. Look for a suit with a higher polyester content (one that is preferably chlorine resistant) and lower spandex/lycra mix. Hot tubs will always be rough on any suit: high heat and chlorine will break down the structure of the fabric. It is best to use an older and worn down suit in a hot tub.
- Don’t rule out design details just because of your body shape – high cut legs and ruching can be flattering on everyone!
- Try everything on. Okay, maybe not everything, but don’t go into a shopping session close-minded. You never know what style might surprise you. Just because you’ve only worn sporty one pieces for years or you’ve been told that you can only pull off a boyshorts, that doesn’t mean there isn’t something different and exciting out there for you.
Colours, patterns, every style imaginable, regular and plus sizing – there are so many options available to help you find your very best beach body. Take the dive today and find your perfect fit.
*READY TO TAKE THAT DIVE?*
Enter our Beach Buddies Swimsuit Contest to win a fitting and brand new swimsuit for you and your best beach buddy!